WEARThe Lowdown On How To Keep White Stuff White
I don’t know about you but I feel as though this year I’ve got a cupboard full of white. Love it. So fresh. But SO hard to keep it white and looking new.
Like my new white sneakers; worked 13 hours at my weekend job just to afford Nike Air Force 1s for Good Life earlier this year. Rocked them with a snakeskin mini and white Kookai Million Ways Bodysuit. Felt like a queen! Danced all day and night and had the best time. Little teeny fractured rib from the death pit too but in my opinion small price to pay.
10 hours after brand new white, you’d swear I’d trekked a jungle and crossed a desert. My shoes were unrecognisable – red dirt ground into the laces, every row of stitching black, white leather was scuffed and even the white fabric around the heel had red dirt ground in.
Horror factor 10. Went a little cray cray until Mum came to the rescue. 24 hours later, just like new. I kid you not. You would never know they had been so trashed.
Here’s the lowdown on how to keep white stuff white – white sneakers in particular:
- Take out the laces and the inner soles. If the inner soles are clean (hopefully you wore socks), put these aside to get some sunshine and fresh air.
- In the laundry tub, bathtub (or outside with the hose if they’re really muddy) rinse off as much of the chunky mud and grime as you can.
- Make a paste with 1/2 lid of Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder and 1/4 cup water. Put the shoelaces and the paste into a ziplock sandwich bag, seal up and then rub between your hands for a good 10 minutes.
- Fill a large bucket with hot water and add two lids of Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder – dump both shoes and laces into the bucket and leave to soak.
- Every few hours, visit your shoes! Give them a scrub with an old toothbrush (perfect for nooks and crannies)
- Next day, rinse and then throw into the washing machine with a load of lights/whites that aren’t too delicate. Add a lid of Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder to the wash and then run the full cycle.
- Your sneakers should come out fresh, clean and as white as the day you bought them.
- Hang them somewhere in the full sun until completely dry if possible.
- Rethread and pop the inner soles back in and you are ready for your next white sneaker moment.
Another thing my white stuff suffers from is me forgetting about a stain. Like a little choc top on my white top from the movies. Or that pizza sauce that just had to land right on the front of my white Thrasher hoodie (yeah I know who buys a white hoodie anyway).
Problem is with stains … I forget about them. And usually by the time I remember they’re ‘set in’ and nothing budges them. Well almost nothing. Unless you know that Vanish Gold Oxi Action Powder can actually remove some stains that are up to 7 days old* It helps if you get onto any stain as soon as you can but we all know life and fun can get in the way of laundry. A lot.
Works on whites and colours but totally now my go to for anything white (because seriously white stuff is the only stuff I get stains on).
Here’s the lowdown on budging stains on your fave white things:
- Depending on the size of the stain, make a paste of Vanish Gold Oxi Action Powder and a little water and gently rub into the stain.
- Let that sit for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then put on a load of washing (score brownie points and ask your Mum if there’s anything she’d like washed) and add another lid full of Vanish Gold Oxi Action Powder.
- Dry your whites in full sun whenever you can – sanitises and helps bleach away any stain shadows.
So now you know there’s no need to shy away from white. If you love it, go for it! Keeping it white is easier than we thought.
The team at Vanish asked us to put this post together. We didn’t get paid but we know it sounds as though we did. We do actually use both Vanish Gold Oxi Action Powder and Vanish Gold Oxi Action Crystal White Powder at home and it rocks. Does what it says it will. So we wanted to share the good news.
*some stains: wine, tomato sauce, beetroot juice, tea, soy sauce, fruit juice